Thursday 16 July 2009

Andrew Flintoff To Retire From Test Cricket

Flintoff calls test career to an end, fitness problems prompt Flintoff to end Test cricket career, the sheer number of injuries that he has suffered over recent years have finally taken their toll, his plan is to play the current Ashes series against Australia and then concentrate solely on the one day game.

"It's something I've been thinking of for some time, if you'll excuse the pun, this is isn't a knee-jerk reaction", "Seeing the surgeon on Monday and having more jabs in it, my body is telling me to give in", "This is for my own sanity, I've spent two out of the last four years just doing rehabilitation", "There's four test matches left and I will obviously give my utmost for England and an Ashes victory".

A final decision on whether he has recovered from his latest knee injury won't be made until Thursday morning, the day of the second test, "I've bowled a few overs" he added "And I'll bowl a few more before the team is announced in the morning".

The 31 year-old Lancashire all-rounder felt he had to make his decision public to help him perform better in the Ashes, "I just think the time now is right and I needed to get it out there and tell everyone what my intentions are", "Over the next few weeks I will do all I can to get out on the Cricket field".

Flintoff's finest hour came in the 2005 Ashes when he starred with both bat and ball as England ended their 18 year drought against Australia, he says that he hasn't yet given up hope of history repeating itself.

"It was a special group of cricketers" he recalled, "We were all confident of doing something very special", "Standing on the podium after the last match is something I'll never forget, I hope I can do that again", "You have one-day cricket and Twenty20 but the Ashes is the ultimate".

No comments:

Post a Comment