Thursday 13 August 2009

Club or country decision for Fletcher

The Red Devil's midfielder elaborates on why he chose to play in Sunday's Community Shield, despite the decision going against Scotland manager George Burley's orders.

Who had reportedly asked every member of the squad to concentrate only on Scotland's upcoming games in the World Cup qualifiers, but the midfielder claims that if he had decided to pull out of the game on Sunday against Chelsea it would have sent him down Manchester United's pecking order.

"The Scotland manager obviously asked me about not playing but I just want to play football as often as I can", he said in an interview with the Daily Record.

"There's still a place in the United squad I'm trying to win and there's always a lot of competition for places in the United team".

The young midfielder then went on to reassure his national coach that, he had no intention of denting his chances with Scotland by playing for his club.

"I don't want to skip any games for Manchester United but I was available for selection for Scotland".

"I've got to concentrate on my club career and my international career too they both work hand in hand", Fletcher will play on Wednesday as captain in Glasgow when Scotland take on Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment